Thursday, May 20, 2010

Let's Talk Mantels

Hello,

I don't know where you all are but here in S Florida it is hot and getting hotter. I really can't even imagine having a fire in the fireplace but for the sake of having something to blog about....work with me.

A fireplace and a large mantel are on my wish list as a must have for a house someday. You just don't run across many fireplaces in South Florida, it's shocking really.... :)

I am the kind of nerd that has been saving pictures for my dream house for years now that combined with some Internet research has lead me to the following conclusion. There are three most common types of arrangements on mantels.

The first being a symmetrical arrangement, which is probably most commonly found in traditional decor. Here are a few examples:



I'm kinda crazy about things being orderly so I kinda love symmetry. ;)

The next type of arrangement is...you guessed it...asymmetrical! Here are a few examples:




I don't mind the 1st and the 3rd picture because it's not very extreme but personally I think the 2nd mantel would drive me nuts.

The last category I'm going to talk about is decor of varying size. I love this look and I think it definitely is represented by a more youthful decor. I say youthful but I don't mean immature because I think if done correctly it can look very polished.



I think that if I have a fireplace in a formal living room I will probably do a symmetrical look but in a more casual room I will do decor of varying heights. Maybe I will have both!!

What do you think?

Emily

Post a Comment

previous next