Thursday, November 15, 2012

Recipe: Vegetable Pot Pie

Good morning!

It's almost Friday, which is a very good thing in my book.  Jacob was out of town last weekend so I'm pumped to have him here and for the 3 of us to be able to relax and have some fun.  

One goal that Jacob and I have been working on is budgeting.  Well, see really we're pretty good at it....we've had a budget since we got married and for the most part we stick to it.  However, with M eating more and more and me getting lax on the food portion things have gotten out of control.  See I meal plan, always have...my mom did so I always plan ahead and make a list.  I think what was killing us was quick trips for this and that a few times a week.  

This is getting longer than I planned so I'll wrap it up.  The reason I'm telling you this is because I have found taking the amount we budget for food out in cash at the beginning of the month is really helping. Also, because I have been on the hunt for inexpensive recipes that are healthy too.  Bonus if they're easy because I usually have a toddler hanging on my leg....This pot pie recipe is one I have been making for years.  The original recipe calls for chicken but I made it vegetarian years ago and recently I made it vegan because of M's dairy allergy.

Add 1 bag of mixed vegetables and mushrooms to an oven safe dish.  I used canned because I had it for some reason but usually I use fresh.  Salt and pepper to taste and add 1 cup of vegetable broth (add cooked chicken if you want)


In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups of Bisquick and 1 cup of milk (I used soy but regular is fine)


Spread the Bisquick mixture over the veggies and pour melted butter over the top.  Bake!


 YUM!



You end up with a fluffy biscuit top and a yummy vegetabley center!  I love this meal on a cold night and we always have plenty of leftovers.  I bet you could make it the night before and just pop it in the oven when you get home.

Vegetable Pot Pie Recipe (Vegan)
1 bag mixed vegetables
mushrooms, chopped
1 cup vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups Bisquick
1 cup milk (soy or regular)
The recipe calls for 1 stick of butter, melted but usually use 3/4 a stick


Bake at 375 for 35-50 min or until the top is golden brown!

Post a Comment

previous next